Search This Blog

Monday, August 19, 2019

Connections...

I just put up a video on our bicycle tour

 in Michigan. Michigan came as a pleasant surprise since we had not really ever been there and it seems that southern Michigan (Detroit, Flint, etc.) seem to get all of the attention. Northern Michigan and the upper penninsula would definitely rate a return visit in our book.

A couple of years ago I had blogged about our trip to Alaska via the Alaska Highway. The route north from Denver takes you almost straight up the Rockies to Banff and then on through Jasper, Canada. Both of these towns are some of my favorite places to visit. A recent article (8/18/19) in the Denver Post brought back memories of that trip. When in Banff we had camped in their campground and one night we had a special visitor. My wife and I, along with our two
Siberian Huskies Bentley and Yukon, were all fast asleep when from right outside our camper a wolf howl erupted. I and my dogs were instantly awake. Normally any nocturnal activity outside the tent gets the full attention of our pups but that night they simply sat bolt upright, ears and noses on full alert. Usually they would start barking but that night they were absolutely quiet. I honestly believe they recognized the presence of their cousin Canus Lupus just a few feet away separated by just a few millimeters of tent fabric. So too do I believe that the wolf was very much aware of our two canine companions but from his or her perspective probably didn't consider them more than a potential snack. I've seen other wolves in the wild but have never been so close to one as on that night. It was truly a special treat that I'll never forget.

The Post article details a more disturbing account of a wolf, apparently nearing the end of its life and in poor condition, attacking a family from New Jersey in the middle of the night in the same campground complex in which we had stayed. Fortunately the husband, with help from another camper, was able to finally drive off the wolf but not before suffering some serious injury. Now, wolf attacks on humans are exceedingly rare and after capturing and killing the wolf it appears it's actions were driven by starvation. After reading the article I immediately wondered if by any chance it could have been the same wolf that ghosted through the campground when we were there. As sorry as I was to hear of the injuries to the camper that nocturnal interaction of several years back with one of nature's most majestic creatures is one I will treasure as long as I live.

1 comment: