Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Ends and Odds

I still like to see movies on the big screen and no, I'm not talking about the latest offering in the 90"+ category (TCL 98-Inch Class S5 4K LED Smart TV with Google TV (98S550G, 2023-Model), Dolby Vision, HDR Ultra, Dolby Atmos, Google Assistant Built-In with Voice Remote, Works with Alexa, Streaming UHD Television) from Amazon. I still like to head down to my local cineplex and watch on the really big screen the way that Hollywood and Ray Dolby intended. The notion of watching for free on Prime if I'm willing to sit through ads nauseates me especially when my better half is already paying $139 for said service.

My local Regal Theatre has come up with a clever gimmick to get patrons into theatre seats on perhaps their slowest night of the week, Monday. Once or twice a month they offer a Mystery Movie Night where for just $5 a person you can see a new release with the only catch being that you don't know what you'll be watching until the credits start to roll. A friend clued us into this and  we've now seen two excellent flicks: Ordinary Angels starring Hilary Swank and One Life with Anthony Hopkins. If you're looking for something a tad more substantial than Kung Fu Panda 4 then I'd highly recommend them,

Ordinary Angels is a true story based on the book by Sharon Stevens Evans about ordinary people rising up to save the life of a sick child. One Life is also about helping children but in a completely different context and the main character, Nicholas Winton, was actually featured on 60 Minutes several years ago so I was vaguely familiar with the story when the movie started but the story is so compelling that the ending still elicited strong emotions. Here too the movie is based on a book written by Mr. Winton's wife Barbara. I only mention the books as the old adage says that 'the book is better than the movie' and if that holds true I can't wait to read both. 

I did experience something completely new at last night's mystery showing of One Life that I hope is a one-off and not indicative of what is to become a new norm. There were probably thirty or so folks in Theatre #3 along with my wife, our friend and myself. As the previews started to show someone in the theatre thought it would be appropriate to light a joint and share the pungent aroma with the rest of us. I have seen patrons vape during theatre shows (not to mention a certain Colorado congresswoman caught in the act on camera) but had not had the pleasure of partaking secondhand in the ganja goodness in such a setting. I guess going forward they'll have to add the prohibition of smoking pot in movie theatres to the already present restrictions on cell phone usage. Either that or the lobby concession stand can start selling dispensary offerings along with their peanuts and popcorn. Regardless, the in-theatre experience for me is still a treat and to see two such outstanding movies for only $5 is a deal too good to pass up!

I can't wait until the next Mystery Movie and best of all during the month of March Regal Theatres is offering one every week. Hopefully see you there and if you have to light up please do so outside or in the lobby. I know you'll be hungry...

No comments:

Post a Comment