Search This Blog

Monday, December 17, 2018

A taste of paradise

Well, the road that beckons has turned into the sea that beckons, and I’m a long way from the Colorado mountains I love so much. The sea is Caribbean, the water is turquoise, the trade winds are fair, and the temperature is perfect for shorts and flip flops. Oh, and the rum’s not bad. The particular island we came down on is Saint Lucia which is part of the West Indies. They can name it what they want but I call it Paradise.

This particular evening as I write this the steel drums are playing Calypso and Reggae and the resort is hosting a Caribbean Beach Party of which yours truly will soon be partaking. As you probably know, a little beach sand between the toes goes some distance towards relieving the stress of ordinary life and island life here is, to be honest, more fantasy than real. Still, a week under the swaying palm trees staring out at an azure sea is impossible to complain about so I won’t even try.

Today’s events included morning and afternoon snorkeling excursions bookcasing a mid morning sail on one of the resort’s Hobie Cats in the kind of steady breezes that Colorado sailors can only dream of. Heck, I even let (well, I actually insisted) that my darling wife learn to sail said craft so I could lounge while staring up at the mast as it made dancing circles in the sky. Speaking of dancing, I’m not usually one for fancy footwork, and more apt to trip over my own two feet, but the band’s still playing, the night’s young, and the love of my life has her hand out enticing me to partake in some gentle swaying to the beat. Who am I to say no?


No comments:

Post a Comment