Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Busy, busy, busy....

Who knew being retired could be so much work. The Spring Training season is winding down with only a week or so to go. We’ve had a couple of doubleheaders and more night games than last year. The Arizona weather that all the loyal fans have paid good money to experience has largely been absent. Not that it’s snowing here in the desert Southwest but temps have remained much cooler than normal according to the locals. Still 60 degree days and 50 degrees for the night games isn’t bad considering what the folks from the Midwest (and it’s largely a Midwest and Texas crowd we see here in Surprise) left behind at home but if one thing has been true it’s that the folks buying the merchandise for the Pro Shops should have bought more of its sweatshirts and long-sleeve shirts. Come the 5th inning at the night games and we see a steady line of shivering souls all sunburned from the Arizona sun coming in and looking for s9mething to keep them warm for the rest of the game.

The Chicago Cubs were in town for a game last week and their fans always seem to fill the stadium. Surprise Stadium has a capacity at just over 10,000 and the attendance for the Cubs game was 10,200. Here’s a quick peek at some of the fun...

My wife (AKA the love of my life, or as she says my FAR better half) was in town for her Spring break. She enjoyed her time hiking and biking

in the desert warmth (not yet desert HEAT) but alas I had the sad duty of shuttling her to the airport for her return flight to Denver yesterday morning. The Phoenix Airport has easy drop off and pickup of passengers but finding your way through Phoenix rush hour on I-10 is not quite the joy you might imagine. Still I was sorry to see her go but happy (sorry honey💑) it was her returning to 25 degrees (now that’s cold) and 5 inches of snow. She promises me that I’ll get a snowstorm or two, or three, upon my return to Denver in April and of course opening day for the Colorado Rockies is often snowed out so I have lots to look forward to. Speaking of which the Rockies made their second appearance this season at Surprise Stadium where they beat up on the Texas Rangers 5-0. Each season I see some familiar faces from my former work life and it was nice to see Paul , who I worked with, in town to catch a game or two. People always ask if I miss working and my only comment is that I miss the people for I was fortunate to work with a great group during most of my career.

Well, got to to get ready for tonight’s game at 6:05 and, sorry fans, you can’t buy MY sweatshirt no matter what you offer me. Oh, i guess i still have time for a quick bike ride. Busy, busy, busy...

4 comments:

  1. It was a fun and enjoyable week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm must be another definition of busy/busy/busy that I've somehow overlooked...........

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss you too David! Looks like you are having a great time and keeping yourself busy. Be sure to visit us soon!

    ReplyDelete