Search This Blog

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Getting There Is Half The Fun

Getting there is half the fun. The other half is a snowstorm, dense fog, pouring rain, some sunshine, more rain, more snow, more sun, and a forest fire thrown in for good measure. Such is the price of admission for working this year’s Spring Training in Arizona.
Castle Rock - it's
really out there
somewhere

The weather in February in Denver is always problematic and you never know what you’re going to get when you set out for a drive. This year’s weather has been so mild I thought I’d have the same easy trip I had last year. Alas, the weather gods were not with me. Last Monday it was in the 60’s and I should have left then but decided to wait for Tuesday which according to the T.V. weather prognosticators would still get me out of Denver ahead of the next storm. I’m old enough to know better but taking the gurus at their word woke up Tuesday morning to snow coming down and streets that rivaled the surface the Colorado Avalanche skate on at the Pepsi Center. Heading south on I-25 the snow wasn’t enough so why not throw in some pea soup fog? Needless to say it was a slow trip south through Colorado Springs and Pueblo. It wasn’t until I reached Trinidad that the clouds broke and sunshine poured through.
Never been so glad to see
Trinidad...

The pavement stayed dry over mighty Raton Pass but an hour out of Santa Fe the heavens let loose with the kind of rain that only New Mexico seems able to deliver. Still, rain trumps snow when you’re trying to make the miles pass under your wheels so it was on to Albuquerque to sample their rush hour. Albuquerque may not have Denver’s population but they certainly have the knack of getting what population they do have all together on the same stretch of Highway all at the same time. Then throw in some road construction and it felt like I hadn’t left Denver at all.

Switching from I-25 to I-40 out of Albuquerque the skies still had their promising blue hue but that was not to last. I had a reservation in Gallup, New Mexico for the night. Thank God for that because about 20 miles out of Gallup I noticed a sinister black cloud strategically hovering over the same pavement I had to travel to reach my abode for the night. Getting closer I noticed the dark cloud extended all the way to the ground. It almost seemed Biblical as I drove smack into my second snow storm of the day. I’m not talking flurries here. The snowflakes were so big they could have been delivered in pizza boxes. Within a mile of entering the cloud traffic had ground to a crawl and by the time I made it to the first Gallup exit the highway was closed and everyone was being pushed into town. Beyond the New Mexico State Troopers waving traffic off the highway I could see numerous jackknifed trucks blocking the snow swept roadway. Once off the highway it took only about an hour to cover the six miles before reaching the comfort of the Red Roof Inn where I had never been so happy to say “Hi there, I have a reservation!”.

Checking the forecast for Wednesday I was pleased to see it called for sunny skies and temps in the 30’s so I was cautiously optimistic I’d be able to continue my journey in the morn. The alarm blasted me out of bed and I staggered to the window where what to my wondering eyes did appear but clear sunny skies as promised and the same sheet of ice on the roads that I thought I had left at home. The hotel clerk was nice enough to point out that Gallup really doesn’t get that much snow and that this was the first they’d had since Christmas. With luck like this I should buy a lottery ticket.
Doesn't the pool
at the Red Roof
Inn look
inviting?

The drive to Flagstaff started out as everything you could hope for. If you were doing 30 mph you were taking your life in your 0hands but that was ok because all the trucks that had been stuck in Gallup overnight we’re only doing 20 and there was only one highway lane visible. Still, with the sunny skies I was hopeful that the sun’s rays would eventually melt the ice and that’s what happened. By Flagstaff the roads were dry and the snow was a distant memory. Still, lesson learned - if you see an ominous cloud over Gallup - turn around!
On to Flagstaff

Flagstaff  sits at about 7,500 feet elevation but from there it's all downhill to Phoenix so I knew it would be clear sailing. Did I just say that? What do I know.
I-17 is the major north-south highway and of course, given they have clear skies and dry pavement there would be the required road construction. But what's an hour's delay between friends? Fortunately there was also a fire burning on the horizon so we didn't get bored.
Lake Pleasant campground -
rest your weary head...

Well, to make a short story even longer, I actually made it to Lake Pleasant Park in time to roll out the sleeping bag and catch some zzzz's. From Lake Pleasant, on the north side of Phoenix, it's only a short 30 miles or so to my final destination of White Tank Park where I'll spend the next six weeks. This morning I went to Surprise Stadium to check in and get my STAFF shirt and schedule. Let me tell you, it was nice to see and smell the immaculately kept green grass of the ball park. Haven't seen that shade of green since last summer...
Surprise Stadium - 1st game
Saturday!

The Cactus League gets
ready to go!

Play Ball!

So there you have it. Last year I did the 900 plus mile drive in one day. This year I thought I'd take it easy and spread it over a couple of days. I've really got to stop thinking...

1 comment:

  1. Always an adventure! Now, you can begin to have some fun in the SUN, relax, rest and enjoy your time watching the desert bloom!! A snowbird dream, no shoveling snow! LOL

    ReplyDelete